Last Christmas I made a really fun pillow for my niece. It was a great project, and didn't take too terribly long to make. I used the pattern from Amy Butler's book "In Stitches".
The pattern was good, but required me to waste a ton of fabric because the dimensions didn't divide nicely into normal fabric cuts. Rather than buy a ton more fabric than I needed, I improvised. I put some minky in the middle and used up all of my fabric rather than buying twice as much as I needed and wasting a ton to get a single cut of fabric! I think it came out great!!! (As you can see Princesses are all the rage.)
One of the main reasons I made the pillow was because I had this fabulous Bernstein Bears print that I just couldn't cut up!!!! It was perfect for opposite the Princesses.
I filled it with regular stuffing, and I'm sure at this point it is really flat. I should probably restuff it!!! I made some fabric buttons and tufted the pillow to keep everything in place.
All in all it was a hit with my niece. Sorry for the bad pictures, but I forgot to take pictures before I gave it to her... so these pictures were in desperation at the end of the evening!!!
Just for fun we also got her a Princess book and a Bernstein Bears book! =)